Saturday, October 28, 2017

Math

We do regular math as a part of school but it comes up organically all the time now too; the big girls are hugely into counting everything. And it's not just numbers 1, 2, 3, 4; it's "2 groups of 5 is 10!" and "8 into 4 fair groups is 2!" (we're big on fair these days.)

Ellie: "Can I have two by two tangerines? I love two by two!"

Avy: "Can I have four tangerines too?"


We have a ton of duplos now thanks to an especially successful thrift shop haul, and the kids have been spending hours building towers, bridges, castles, and cars. And then Ellie called to me, "Mom, what's 12 groups of 10?"

Me (coming out to see): "12 groups of 10 is 120 dear."

Ellie: "Ok. I hypothesize that 12 groups of 10 is as tall as this room."

Me (looking at the pile of 10s she had amased): "I don't know sweetie, I think the room is taller."

Guys, after she finished stacking the piles she was off by 1.


No comments:

Post a Comment