Monday, January 22, 2018

Sick days

We've had our fair share of sickness this year and then some. The kids all came down with RSV the week before our CA trip; minor for the bigger kids but it briefly had Lily in the hospital and gave us some sleepless nights. Unfortunately, it's the virus that keeps giving - Lily's had two re-occurrences since (unfortunately common for this bug). 

But, oh my. The kids are such troopers, such team players. They readily acknowledge whoever is sickest and go out of their way to help them and me in the worst moments. It's so dear.

Here I had set them all on my bed to watch TV (a novelty for the littles). Avy started to get annoyed with Theo as Theo would bounce across the bed every few minutes to tell me what had just happened in the show. As soon as I explained to Avy that he didn't know how to have good TV watching manners she calmed down, turned to Theo and said,

"Now Theo, whenever you go in front of me I can't see any more. Can you either sit next to Mom or hold still please?' <== super mature

And Theo, to his credit nodded, said "ah." and held still. 

Avy pondered her success at this for a moment then turned to me and told me, "Mom, I think I could be a babysitter when I grow up. I'm really good with little kids. I could be a babysitter!....... <long pause> .... or an airplane."

To my credit, I held in my laughter until I went back to the kitchen.


Went to the bathroom and came back to Ellie reading to Lily.


Post dinner I was holding Lily when I heard some clanging noises. Peeked into the kitchen and spotted Theo trying manfully to load the dirty dishes into the dishwasher.


So yes, while being sick is no fun and we all prefer to be healthy, it is heart-warming to see my kids care for each other.

1 comment:

  1. How very dear that they all responded! I am so glad that they have each other and you and Dave.

    ReplyDelete